Dr Laura Lustig is now presenting her new workshop “Autism and a Family’s Commitment: Lifetime issues faced by Families with a Developmentally Disabled Child “. Her vast knowledge and years of first hand experience will enlighten and educate everyone who attends. This workshop is for parents and professionals dealing with families with a developmentally disabled child.
Workshops include a signed copy of her book “Attics of the Mind” and a copy of the DVD, “Autism and a Family’s Commitment”
Workshops are designed for 2 groups: parents and family members; professionals and educators working with children with developmental disabilities.
Topics have been developed that include:
- the psychological trauma and the dynamics in families experiencing the birth of a disabled child
- the stages of family development and individual needs
- networking between school and family, agencies and the community
- parent/professional relationships
- the question of guardianship
- adult stages and finding a place within the community
Below is a partial list of activities and conferences in which I participated over the course of 30 years.
– Speaker: International Sibling Conference: Exploring the Rewards & Challenges of Having a Family Member with Disabilities
– Founder and President: New Learning Therapy Center
– Adjunct Professor: Sacred Heart University; courses on family systems and play therapy
– Supervision of graduate students in marriage and family therapy.
– Taught graduate level workshop on handicaps in the family, University of Bridgeport .
– Supervision of Parents Anonymous group.
– Group therapy: families with handicapped children.
– Private practice in marriage and family therapy, with specialties in treatment of chronic disability in the family and families of young children.
– Workshop – Head Start program.
– Workshops: parents of children and learning disabilities and retardation: Developed group program ( Westport schools) between parents of children in mainstream and children with special needs.
– Member, Board of Trustees of Corporation for Independent Living, Hartford , CT (established by state legislature for promotion of group homes).
– Established Board of Trustees in Westport of 7 town area for purpose of organizing group homes for adult handicap
– Organized registered, nonprofit assn. in Westport , CT for benefit of mentally and emotionally handicapped.
– Organized regional advisory board of school administrators and parents for special education curriculum planning in Westport school system.
– Organized regional advisory board of similar nature in Bergen County , NJ .
– Established Special Regional PTA in Bergen County .
– Co-founder of private school for mentally and emotionally handicapped in Bergen County , NJ .